The Wyoming All-around Gundog Series (W.A.G.S.) is a year round hunting competition for upland bird dogs. These competitions can gain the dogs the recognition they deserve, includes family fun, is a social activity, exercise for both the dogs and the handlers, and is an excellent way to show off a dog’s talents along with your shooting skills in a friendly, competitive atmosphere.
The goal of this timed event is for the dog to hunt, point or flush, then retrieve to hand a set number of planted birds-usually chukar-in a field. Other birds used are pheasant or quail. Points are awarded for flushes, points, retrieves, birds bagged, unused shells, as well as minutes remaining, Awards and prizes are given to the top 3 places in most divisions.
General Rules of Competition
- Handler & Dog leave the gate at a brisk pace without running
- The Dog finds birds inbounds
- Flushing breeds flush birds; Pointing breeds point each bird for a minimum of three (3) seconds and until the handler gently forces the bird to take flight
- The Handler shoots the bird with clean shots
- Two shots per bird maximum
- The hunter keeps one foot firmly planted on the ground as the dog goes to retrieve the bird
- The Dog fully retrieves birds back to where the shot was taken
- The Handler calls time with the allotted number of birds and when the last bird is in hand and in control.
- The Handler leashes the Dog and they leave the field
- The Dog must establish a solid 3 second point and the Handler must stop when they call point before the Handler can flush and shoot the bird. After the shot, the Handler cannot move and the dog must retrieve the bird to hand. When the Handler takes a step or more after the shot, he or she is only granted a partial retrieve.
- The Dog must hunt and flush the birds. They also must retrieve the bird to hand after the shot. They are allowed to “trap” or catch the birds.
Open Singles-Flusher and Pointer
- This division has a one Handler and one Dog Teams; each team has a 4 bird set to harvest in a fifteen (15) minute time limit. The Handler is allowed 8 shells and is awarded points for unused shells. This Division includes 2 separate classes, Flusher and Pointer. Includes awards and payback to the top 3 places per class-First, Second, and Third.
Doubles-Flusher and Pointer
- This division has Teams of two (2) Handlers and one (1) or two (2) Dogs. When 2 dogs are used, they can be of the same breed or 1 dog of each breed. Each team has a 6 bird set to harvest in a twenty (20) minute time limit. Each Handler is allowed 5 shells and is awarded points for unused shells. Includes awards and payback to the top 3 places per class-First, Second, and Third.
Amateurs-Flusher, Pointer and Womens
- This division has a one Handler and one Dog Teams; each team has a 3 bird set to harvest in a fifteen (15) minute time limit.The Handler is allowed 6 shells and is awarded points for unused shells. This Division includes 1 separate class, Flusher, Pointer and Women and is for “the beginner” who would like to try it out at a lower cost per run. Includes awards to the top 3 places-First, Second, and Third but no payback.
Youth-(Must have a gun safety certificate)-Flusher and Pointer
- This division has a one (1) Handler and one (1) Dog Teams-Flusher or Pointer; each team has a 3 bird set to harvest in a fifteen (15) minute time limit. The Handler is allowed 6 shells and is awarded points for unused shells. Youth ages 12 -17 years old, 15 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. (Parent or guardian over the age of 18) Includes awards to the top 3 places but no payback.